Brave passes 5.5 million monthly active users and features over 28,000 Verified Publishers
2018 highlights include 5X MAU growth, major product redesigns, and key partnerships
As we look ahead to 2019 and our upcoming Brave 1.0 release with Brave Ads that will reward users for their attention with Basic Attention Tokens (BAT), we wanted to share some of our 2018 milestones and thank our users and partners for their support during this busy year.
2018 Brave & Basic Attention Token Highlights
5X user growth
With 1 million monthly active users at the beginning of 2018 and now over 5.5 million, we’re excited about further growth in 2019 that will be fueled by the release of our 1.0 desktop browser, as well as BAT rewards that users will be able to reap from our upcoming opt-in Brave Ads.
22% speed improvement on desktop
Our redesigned desktop browser for macOS, Windows, and Linux, released for developers in September and now available for general download, is 22% faster than our previous Muon version, supports nearly all Chrome extensions, and features the new Brave Rewards.
Our new iOS version delivered significant performance gains, and our Android app passed 10 million downloads in August. With 20% of our users on desktop and 80% on mobile, we anticipate even more adoption on mobile platforms as Brave Rewards and the Basic Attention Token are coming to Android and iOS this year.
7X growth for Verified Publishers
There are now over 28,000 Verified publishers, including YouTube channels and Twitch streamers (for whom we added support in March), who have signed up for Brave Rewards to reconnect with their audiences (up from 4,000 at the beginning of 2018) and benefit from our referral program. This seven-fold increase led us to deliver new tipping functionality in Brave Rewards and a feature that lets content creators customize their tipping banners.
Expanded privacy work
As privacy came to the forefront in 2018 with repeated data breach scandals on several platforms, we are developing anti-surveillance technology to keep users in control of their data. We forged ahead with more privacy-protecting features such as the integration of Tor in our Private Windows, as well as opening a Research office in London for future implementations of privacy innovations such as SpeedReader and AdGraph.
Dow Jones Media Group, Townsquare, Baker/DeFranco
We partnered with Dow Jones Media Group to bring premium content to new audiences and to test blockchain technology usage in digital publishing. We also partnered with Townsquare Media to monetize ad-blocking traffic and test digital advertising solutions with the BAT platform, as well as prominent YouTubers Bart Baker and Philip DeFranco to spread awareness about Brave and BAT to their audiences.
Qwant, the European search engine that respects the privacy of its users, is now our default search engine in France and Germany.
We expanded our relationship with DuckDuckGo to feature them across all our platforms in our Private Windows search.
Brave will be the default browser on the HTC Exodus, the world’s first native blockchain phone dedicated to decentralized applications.
We joined the AdLedger blockchain consortium alongside Publicis, Omnicom, IPG Reprise Digital, GroupM, MadHive, Coindesk, Meredith, TEGNA, and IBM in order to reform the future of digital advertising.
We’re working with Civic to provide identity verification and other Know Your Customer (KYC) services to our Verified publishers, so that they will be able to securely receive earned BATs directly into their own Ethereum addresses.
Policy and Industry Relations
From mid-2018 Brave started to work with lawmakers, regulators, and advertisers in the US and Europe, pressing for privacy protections for users and a fairer deal for publishers. Here are highlights of Brave’s public policy activities:
- Brave wrote to each of the EU 28 Member State governments to call for enhanced privacy protections for users in the forthcoming ePrivacy Regulation. We also publicly revealed that the IAB (a powerful lobby for surveillance adtech) had sent misleading data to European lawmakers to lobby for lower privacy protections.
- We filed GDPR complaints against surveillance adtech (see coverage in Reuters). This prompted privacy regulators to launch a major investigation into the massive data breach at the heart of the online ad auction system.
- Our CEO wrote to the US Senate to call for a federal law based on the GDPR. We sent detailed input on how this law should operate to the US National Telecommunications and Information Administration.
- We wrote to Europe’s antitrust chief, Margrethe Vestager, to call for an antitrust investigation of the “programmatic” behavioral advertising market, which disadvantages worthy publishers and enables surveillance adtech to extract 55-70% from every marketing dollar (see coverage in Bloomberg).
You can sign up for updates on Brave’s policy work here.
On Reddit, we launched an AMA series in 2018 that featured 10 episodes with different members of our team, and we have more planned for 2019. We also started a Telegram group, in addition to our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram presence for Brave and BAT. On the ground, our BAT regional leader volunteers held a total of 23 meetups globally, in addition to the events we organized with our CEO in London, Singapore, Seoul, New York, and San Francisco.
Connecting with Brave
We love hearing from our users, so please visit us at Mobile World Congress (Hall 8.1, booth A67) if you’re in Barcelona from February 25-28, 2019. (Stay tuned on Twitter as we will be giving away tickets soon!)
We look forward to more achievements together in 2019 as we launch our new digital advertising platform to reconnect creators and brands with users, and to reward users for their attention while preserving their privacy.
We’re also growing and hiring in multiple cities, so check out our job listings!
Continue reading for news on ad blocking, features, performance, privacy and Basic Attention Token related announcements.
New online advertising model upends current systemwith 70% revenue share to users and privacy by designToday we’re previewing our new digital advertising model in Brave’s Developer channel. Developers and testers using the latest desktop browser build for macOS and...
Brave Rewards is our anonymous donation system integrated directly into the Brave desktop browser. It is accessible to users from the URL bar via the BAT (Basic Attention Token) logo, and though off by default, can be easily switched on with the slider. Publishers and...
Today we’re releasing Brave 0.58, the latest update to our Chromium-based desktop browser, available for download for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Along with this update, Brave-verified publishers and creators can customize Tipping Banners for their sites, YouTube...
New Chromium-based release automatically replaces previous Muon-based version with seamless migration Starting today, Brave users who are currently browsing with our Muon-based desktop version (0.25.2) will receive a notification to upgrade to our redesigned...
This post is an abbreviated version of this report, based on research conducted at Brave by Andrius Aucinas (Performance Researcher), Peter Snyder (Privacy Researcher), and Dr. Ben Livshits (Chief Scientist), as well as by Mohammad Ghasemisharif (Ph.D student in...
Welcome to the fourth post in our series of BAT Community-run AMAs. The ongoing AMA series on Reddit is a six-month-long event that features various guests from the Brave and BAT teams. The goal of the series is twofold: to give fans of the project an opportunity to...
Brave San Francisco
512 Second St., Floor 2
San Francisco, CA 94107
9 Appold St
London, EC2A 2AP
- $1 Million Token Giveaway
- 404 Page
- About Ad Replacement
- About Brave
- Ads User Trials
- Assets for Creators
- Be Brave and support me!
- Be Brave and support me!
- Become a Brave Rewards Creator
- Best Adblock for YouTube
- BitTorrent – Browse with integrity
- BitTorrent – Secure & Fast Browsing
- Block Ads and Trackers with Brave!
- Brave Branding Assets
- Brave Linkbubbles for Social Media & Pocket
- Brave Research
- Brave Rewards Creator
- Brave Signing Key
- Coindesk Partnership for faster, ad-free browsing
- Creator Referral Program
- Download Brave Ads Trials
- Download Brave Beta
- Download Brave Dev
- Download Browser with Adblocker for Mobile & Desktop
- Dr Johnny Ryan FRHistS
- Experience the Fastest & Safest Web Browser
- Experience the Fastest & Safest Web Browser
- Free 2-year subscription to Barron’s
- Free 2-year subscription to MarketWatch
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join us to Change the Web Together
- Media Assets
- News on Privacy, Adblock and Browsers
- Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker
- See Current Stats
- Thanks for Downloading Brave
- The Brave Community
- Townsquare Media – PopCrush
- Townsquare Media – Taste Of Country
- Townsquare Media – Ultimate Classic Rock
- Townsquare Media – XXL
- Youth Involvement in Open Source Technologies
Posts by category
- Category: AMA
- Category: Announcements
- Brave Previews Opt-in Ads in Desktop Browser Developer Channel
- Brave passes 5.5 million monthly active users and features over 28,000 Verified Publishers
- Brave Rewards Update
- New BAT Tipping Banner for Brave Creators, Available with Today’s Desktop Browser Update
- Brave Software Joins AdLedger
- New Brave version now available for download for iPhones and iPads, with significant performance gains
- Brave Upgrades Users of its Desktop Browser to its Redesigned, Faster Version
- “Best of the Brave” Video Contest Winners Are Rewarded with 115K BAT
- SpeedReader: Fast and Private Reader Mode for the Web
- Brave Sponsors Cal Hacks 5.0, the World’s Largest Collegiate Hackathon
- New Brave Browser Release Available for General Download on Brave.com
- The New Brave is 22% Faster
- Beta Release of Redesigned Brave Desktop Browser is Available Today for Download and Testing
- Brave Launches 100K BAT “Best of the Brave” Video Contest for Online Creators and Publishers
- Civic to Offer Secure Identity Verification Services on the Brave Publisher Platform
- Fast and Private Brave Browser Chooses Qwant as its Default Search Engine in France and Germany
- Regulatory complaint concerning massive, web-wide data breach by Google and other “ad tech” companies under Europe’s GDPR
- Few Realize “Private Mode” Is Not Really Private
- Understanding Redirection-Based Tracking
- Brave Browser iOS App Now Offers DuckDuckGo Search in Private Tabs
- Brave Passes 3 Million Monthly Active Users and Makes Top 10 List in the Play Store in 21 Countries
- Brave Introduces Beta of Private Tabs with Tor for Enhanced Privacy while Browsing
- Brave Welcomes Dr. Johnny Ryan to its Leadership Team as Chief Policy and Industry Relations Officer
- Brave Launches User Trials for Opt-In Ads That Reward Viewers
- Brave Users Get Rewarded to Browse
- Brave Proposes a Machine Learning Approach for Ad Blocking
- New Brave Version Features Tab Improvements for Enhanced Performance
- Global Brave News — Brave Officially Opens London Office and Presents in Singapore and Korea
- Brave and Townsquare Partner to Monetize Ad-blocking Traffic and Test Blockchain-based Digital Advertising
- Brave Update: Partners, Creators, Users, and Growth – April 2018
- Dow Jones Media Group Partners With Brave Software To Offer Premium Content To Users and Test Blockchain-Based Payment Technology
- Brave Distributes Million Dollar Referral Program to Content Creators
- Brave Unveils Development Plans for Upcoming 1.0 Browser Release, Including Transition to Chromium Front-End
- Million Dollar BAT Giveaway to Brave Users Now Paid Out to Rewarded Content Creators
- Twitch Support
- Let’s Encrypt Sponsorship
- Brave Launches Million Dollar Referral Program Supporting Publishers And YouTube Creators With Crypto-Tokens
- Multi-property Support Now Live for Brave-verified Creators
- New Brave Release Available For Desktop Users With Across-the-board Improvements And Updates
- Brave-verified Publishers Double in One Week with Ongoing $1 Million Crypto-token Giveaway
- Brave Announces $1 Million Crypto-Token Giveaway
- Update: Brave Browser and BAT Achievements in 2017 and Goals for 2018
- An Inside Look at Brave Development
- Brave and DuckDuckGo Partner to Improve Privacy on the Web
- Brave Grants 300,000 Promotional Tokens to Browser Users
- Funding your Brave Wallet
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube
- Tips and Tricks for Brave on Your Phone
- ETHWaterloo Hackathon: Integrating MetaMask into Brave
- BAT Mercury Launch
- Brave expands its leadership team with Ben Livshits as Chief Scientist and David Temkin as Chief Product Officer
- Unpublishing Link Bubble
- Loading Chrome Extensions in Brave
- Introducing Brave Payments
- Brave’s Response to the NAA: A Better Deal for Publishers
- Category: Brave Insights
- Brave requests European Commission antitrust examination of online ad market
- 38 businesses and organizations urge European Governments to break ePrivacy deadlock
- French regulator shows deep flaws in IAB’s consent framework and RTB
- Brave calls for a “United States GDPR” in letter to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration
- Why GDPR is Kryptonite to Google & Facebook on Anti-Trust
- Brendan Eich writes to the US Senate: we need a GDPR for the United States
- Critical data protection problems in the IAB’s new OpenRTB 3.0 Spec
- Brave Writes to All 28 EU Member States, Defending ePrivacy Regulation’s “Privacy By Design and By Default”
- Europe’s top court signals new risk for marketers from ad tech
- Category: Community
- Category: GDPR
- Category: New Features
- Category: Policy
- Category: Press
- Brave ad-blocking browser gets Chrome’s extensions with major new version
- Crypto-Funded Brave Browser Hits 10 Million Downloads in Google Play Store
- Le navigateur Brave dépasse les 10 millions de téléchargements
- Brave advances browser privacy with Tor-powered tabs
- Blockchain browser Brave starts opt-in testing of on-device ad targeting
- What’s an Online Ad Worth? Blockchain Might Help With That
- Crypto-powered Brave Browser Hits 5 Million Downloads in Google Play Store
- Ad-blocking Brave browser to give crypto-payment tokens to everyone
- Ad-blocking browser Brave signs up Dow Jones Media Group as a partner
- Category: Research
- Category: Rewards
- Category: Security & Privacy