LAST UPDATED March 16, 2022
What is the CCPA?
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Privacy Rights Act (which amends the CCPA) impose obligations on businesses that are subject to them, and give residents of California certain rights over personal information that a business collects about them.
If you are a California resident, the CCPA and CPRA give you the right to:
- Know what personal information a business collects about you, and how it is used and shared
- Delete personal information collected from you (subject to exceptions such as if a business is legally required to keep the personal information)
- Opt-out of the sale or sharing of personal information
- Non-discrimination when exercising CCPA rights
- Correct inaccurate personal information
- Limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information
Under our commitment to privacy, Brave does not buy, sell, or otherwise trade in personal information. Brave only collects personal information in limited circumstances when it is necessary to provide a service, not because it is desirable. When we do collect personal information we minimise what is needed. Some examples of when we do process personal information include when an individual:
- Provides it to register for a premium service, such as Brave Firewall + VPN or Brave Talk
- Provides it to obtain customer support
- Takes part in beta trials of the Brave browser and services
- Takes part in consumer research
- Signs up for a Brave Creators account
To exercise your rights under the CCPA and CPRA, or to inquire about our privacy practices, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please consider that we do not buy or sell personal information, so there is nothing to opt-out of. When submitting a request it would be helpful to indicate the context in which you believe we are processing personal information about you—for example, that you subscribed to a premium rate service, contacted Brave support, or signed up for a Brave Creators account. This will help us handle your enquiry more quickly and efficiently.