Brave Rewards Update
Brave Rewards is our anonymous donation system integrated directly into the Brave desktop browser. It is accessible to users from the URL bar via the BAT (Basic Attention Token) logo, and though off by default, can be easily switched on with the slider. Publishers and creators who wish to participate in Brave Rewards can join by signing up via our publisher portal.
Brave Rewards is a new way to fund content on the internet and to reconnect creators with their audiences. Brave Rewards currently has a community of over 23,000 publishers, YouTube creators, and Twitch streamers. It is still in beta and will feature several improvements in the coming months as the program is refined and integrates the valuable community input we receive.
We have heard important feedback and are currently fixing the user interface of the browser to clarify how Brave Rewards works, so that both users and creators can continue to use it with the clear purpose for which it is designed: rewarding content creators while preserving user privacy. We apologize for the errors showing unverified creators in the Brave Rewards tipping panel, and look forward to sharing an improved system with you.
Starting tomorrow, Brave Rewards will clearly indicate which publishers and creators have not yet joined Brave Rewards, so users can better control how they donate and tip. This new message will appear in the regular donation process and in the tipping box. Moreover, creators that have not verified with Brave will no longer have their YouTube or Twitch channel images appear within Brave Rewards.
How Rewards Work
This is also a good time to repost the basics of how Brave Rewards works.
Brave has never kept for itself or reclaimed donations that are made to creators:
- Brave Rewards allows users to anonymously donate to their favorite content providers, even if they have not yet registered as creators. As contributions build up, Brave will attempt to notify creators that they have tokens waiting for them.
- Users can also disable the “allow contributions to non-verified sites” option in their Brave Rewards Auto-Contribute settings (see image below). This ensures that contributions are made only to sites for publishers that have already verified with the platform.
- All of the BAT donated to content creators through the Brave Rewards program are settled during the first half of the month.
- When creators join the program, all donations earmarked for them are immediately transferred to their account, and they can keep earning BAT in the future.
Most donations and tips currently come from promotional BAT grants given to Brave users by Brave, from our User Growth Pool (UGP). However, some tips and donations come from BAT purchased by users. Promotional tokens gifted by Brave that remain unclaimed may be returned to the UGP after a year. Tokens purchased by users that go unclaimed by publishers are held indefinitely for the publisher. (You can find more details in our Terms of Service and our FAQ.)
In the future, we plan to implement the following features to make Brave Rewards even more straightforward and appealing to its users:
- In the near term, an opt-out option for creators who do not wish to receive donations.
- We are also considering switching the default so users cannot tip or donate to unverified creators.
- A change so that users may contribute only UGP-granted tokens to unverified creators, but can contribute self-funded and grant-funded tokens in any combination to verified creators.
Brave is an open-source project and we operate transparently, for third party audits and verification, as we decentralize the BAT platform in stages. We greatly value the feedback we receive from our users and the wider creator community, and will continue to make improvements to Brave Rewards based on this input. At Brave, our mission is to fix the Web and create a more sustainable funding ecosystem that reconnects users and creators, all the while protecting user privacy.
Continue reading for news on ad blocking, features, performance, privacy and Basic Attention Token related announcements.
New online advertising model upends current systemwith 70% revenue share to users and privacy by designToday we’re previewing our new digital advertising model in Brave’s Developer channel. Developers and testers using the latest desktop browser build for macOS and...
2018 highlights include 5X MAU growth, major product redesigns, and key partnershipsAs we look ahead to 2019 and our upcoming Brave 1.0 release with Brave Ads that will reward users for their attention with Basic Attention Tokens (BAT), we wanted to share some of our...
Today we’re releasing Brave 0.58, the latest update to our Chromium-based desktop browser, available for download for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Along with this update, Brave-verified publishers and creators can customize Tipping Banners for their sites, YouTube...
New Chromium-based release automatically replaces previous Muon-based version with seamless migration Starting today, Brave users who are currently browsing with our Muon-based desktop version (0.25.2) will receive a notification to upgrade to our redesigned...
This post is an abbreviated version of this report, based on research conducted at Brave by Andrius Aucinas (Performance Researcher), Peter Snyder (Privacy Researcher), and Dr. Ben Livshits (Chief Scientist), as well as by Mohammad Ghasemisharif (Ph.D student in...
Welcome to the fourth post in our series of BAT Community-run AMAs. The ongoing AMA series on Reddit is a six-month-long event that features various guests from the Brave and BAT teams. The goal of the series is twofold: to give fans of the project an opportunity to...
Brave San Francisco
512 Second St., Floor 2
San Francisco, CA 94107
9 Appold St
London, EC2A 2AP
- $1 Million Token Giveaway
- 404 Page
- About Ad Replacement
- About Brave
- Ads User Trials
- Assets for Creators
- Be Brave and support me!
- Be Brave and support me!
- Become a Brave Rewards Creator
- Best Adblock for YouTube
- BitTorrent – Browse with integrity
- BitTorrent – Secure & Fast Browsing
- Block Ads and Trackers with Brave!
- Brave Branding Assets
- Brave Linkbubbles for Social Media & Pocket
- Brave Research
- Brave Rewards Creator
- Brave Signing Key
- Coindesk Partnership for faster, ad-free browsing
- Creator Referral Program
- Download Brave Ads Trials
- Download Brave Beta
- Download Brave Dev
- Download Browser with Adblocker for Mobile & Desktop
- Dr Johnny Ryan FRHistS
- Experience the Fastest & Safest Web Browser
- Experience the Fastest & Safest Web Browser
- Free 2-year subscription to Barron’s
- Free 2-year subscription to MarketWatch
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join us to Change the Web Together
- Media Assets
- News on Privacy, Adblock and Browsers
- Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker
- See Current Stats
- Thanks for Downloading Brave
- The Brave Community
- Townsquare Media – PopCrush
- Townsquare Media – Taste Of Country
- Townsquare Media – Ultimate Classic Rock
- Townsquare Media – XXL
- Youth Involvement in Open Source Technologies
Posts by category
- Category: AMA
- Category: Announcements
- Brave Previews Opt-in Ads in Desktop Browser Developer Channel
- Brave passes 5.5 million monthly active users and features over 28,000 Verified Publishers
- Brave Rewards Update
- New BAT Tipping Banner for Brave Creators, Available with Today’s Desktop Browser Update
- Brave Software Joins AdLedger
- New Brave version now available for download for iPhones and iPads, with significant performance gains
- Brave Upgrades Users of its Desktop Browser to its Redesigned, Faster Version
- “Best of the Brave” Video Contest Winners Are Rewarded with 115K BAT
- SpeedReader: Fast and Private Reader Mode for the Web
- Brave Sponsors Cal Hacks 5.0, the World’s Largest Collegiate Hackathon
- New Brave Browser Release Available for General Download on Brave.com
- The New Brave is 22% Faster
- Beta Release of Redesigned Brave Desktop Browser is Available Today for Download and Testing
- Brave Launches 100K BAT “Best of the Brave” Video Contest for Online Creators and Publishers
- Civic to Offer Secure Identity Verification Services on the Brave Publisher Platform
- Fast and Private Brave Browser Chooses Qwant as its Default Search Engine in France and Germany
- Regulatory complaint concerning massive, web-wide data breach by Google and other “ad tech” companies under Europe’s GDPR
- Few Realize “Private Mode” Is Not Really Private
- Understanding Redirection-Based Tracking
- Brave Browser iOS App Now Offers DuckDuckGo Search in Private Tabs
- Brave Passes 3 Million Monthly Active Users and Makes Top 10 List in the Play Store in 21 Countries
- Brave Introduces Beta of Private Tabs with Tor for Enhanced Privacy while Browsing
- Brave Welcomes Dr. Johnny Ryan to its Leadership Team as Chief Policy and Industry Relations Officer
- Brave Launches User Trials for Opt-In Ads That Reward Viewers
- Brave Users Get Rewarded to Browse
- Brave Proposes a Machine Learning Approach for Ad Blocking
- New Brave Version Features Tab Improvements for Enhanced Performance
- Global Brave News — Brave Officially Opens London Office and Presents in Singapore and Korea
- Brave and Townsquare Partner to Monetize Ad-blocking Traffic and Test Blockchain-based Digital Advertising
- Brave Update: Partners, Creators, Users, and Growth – April 2018
- Dow Jones Media Group Partners With Brave Software To Offer Premium Content To Users and Test Blockchain-Based Payment Technology
- Brave Distributes Million Dollar Referral Program to Content Creators
- Brave Unveils Development Plans for Upcoming 1.0 Browser Release, Including Transition to Chromium Front-End
- Million Dollar BAT Giveaway to Brave Users Now Paid Out to Rewarded Content Creators
- Twitch Support
- Let’s Encrypt Sponsorship
- Brave Launches Million Dollar Referral Program Supporting Publishers And YouTube Creators With Crypto-Tokens
- Multi-property Support Now Live for Brave-verified Creators
- New Brave Release Available For Desktop Users With Across-the-board Improvements And Updates
- Brave-verified Publishers Double in One Week with Ongoing $1 Million Crypto-token Giveaway
- Brave Announces $1 Million Crypto-Token Giveaway
- Update: Brave Browser and BAT Achievements in 2017 and Goals for 2018
- An Inside Look at Brave Development
- Brave and DuckDuckGo Partner to Improve Privacy on the Web
- Brave Grants 300,000 Promotional Tokens to Browser Users
- Funding your Brave Wallet
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube
- Tips and Tricks for Brave on Your Phone
- ETHWaterloo Hackathon: Integrating MetaMask into Brave
- BAT Mercury Launch
- Brave expands its leadership team with Ben Livshits as Chief Scientist and David Temkin as Chief Product Officer
- Unpublishing Link Bubble
- Loading Chrome Extensions in Brave
- Introducing Brave Payments
- Brave’s Response to the NAA: A Better Deal for Publishers
- Category: Brave Insights
- Brave requests European Commission antitrust examination of online ad market
- 38 businesses and organizations urge European Governments to break ePrivacy deadlock
- French regulator shows deep flaws in IAB’s consent framework and RTB
- Brave calls for a “United States GDPR” in letter to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration
- Why GDPR is Kryptonite to Google & Facebook on Anti-Trust
- Brendan Eich writes to the US Senate: we need a GDPR for the United States
- Critical data protection problems in the IAB’s new OpenRTB 3.0 Spec
- Brave Writes to All 28 EU Member States, Defending ePrivacy Regulation’s “Privacy By Design and By Default”
- Europe’s top court signals new risk for marketers from ad tech
- Category: Community
- Category: GDPR
- Category: New Features
- Category: Policy
- Category: Press
- Brave ad-blocking browser gets Chrome’s extensions with major new version
- Crypto-Funded Brave Browser Hits 10 Million Downloads in Google Play Store
- Le navigateur Brave dépasse les 10 millions de téléchargements
- Brave advances browser privacy with Tor-powered tabs
- Blockchain browser Brave starts opt-in testing of on-device ad targeting
- What’s an Online Ad Worth? Blockchain Might Help With That
- Crypto-powered Brave Browser Hits 5 Million Downloads in Google Play Store
- Ad-blocking Brave browser to give crypto-payment tokens to everyone
- Ad-blocking browser Brave signs up Dow Jones Media Group as a partner
- Category: Research
- Category: Rewards
- Category: Security & Privacy